Dockers union of the Port of Thessaloniki was founded in 1914 when the Greek Government, with a special law established a free zone in the Port as a section for the Commerce and Industry, in 1923 when the Port of Thessaloniki was founded as a Legal Entity of Public Low called
'' Guardianship of free zone'' of Thessaloniki.
It was a constitute of different unions of dockworkers operating by that time in the port of Thessaloniki It was a different union dockworkers unions operating by then the port of Thessaloniki. It is characteristic that the Dockers were and remained separated for many years according to the type of their work, assistant, and freelance,pemanent. Unions that controlled the port workers, according on their work and loads were as follows:
-Hull steamboat port workers
-Coal Hull Workers
-Land- Coal Workers
-Port Workers-bearer Customs Service
-Port Workers-bearer service Thessaloniki's Port Authority
Today, the Port Workers Unions representing 145 members (with links Foreman & Markers) and administrative consist of the 9-member Board, the 3-member Audit Committee and the supreme authority is the General Assembly of members.
Under the coordination of associations and union boards of the workers, the Association of Port Workers union is like a primary member of the Federation Laoders and Unloaders of Greece and the Trade union center of Thessaloniki.
In European and international level, is a member of the International Dockworkers Council (IDC) and is represented by the Federation Loaders and Unloaders of Greece .